Medior Business Controller
In this role, you together with the Managing Directors, will be responsible for the Africa-Europe & Nigeria region. You will lead the Accounting teams of each region and report directly to the CFO. You have the responsibility over the Planning & Control cycle and you will analyze the consolidated financial and management reports. You do all this in a global organization that is market leader in its field. Does this sound like it fits your ambition? You might be the professional we are looking for.
Smit Lamnalco as your employer
Smit Lamnalco is the leading provider of safe and efficient towage and associated marine services to the oil and gas terminal industry. With approximately 150 vessels and over 1,700 staff and crew worldwide, it has 55 years of operational expertise and is active in over 30 countries throughout the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Australia and Asia. It specialises in bringing international standards on safety and reliability to onshore and offshore operations in difficult environments.
Smit Lamnalco operates a diverse fleet of Harbour & Terminal Tugs as well as Offshore Support Vessels. It has an In-House Technology & New Build team, which enables the company to evaluate and improve performances of its current fleet and to incorporate ‘lessons learned’ into their new-build vessels. This allows it to tailor marine support services to the operational needs of global customers in local markets, both on and offshore.
Your role as Medior Business Controller at Smit Lamnalco
The Medior Business Controller has several reporting lines. Functionally you report to the CFO and hierarchically you report to the Managing Directors of the regions in your portfolio, Africa-Europe & Nigeria. This role is new, as it was previously staffed by two separate Business Controllers. In total, you will have seven direct reports divided between both regions. You will be assisted by a Junior Business Controller who supports you with both regions. The Africa-Europe region is of higher size and complexity and therefore will require about 60% of your time. In this region you will be assisted by three Financial Accountants all positioned at the Rotterdam HQ. The remainder of your time you will spend on the Nigeria region. The Accounting team for Nigeria is located locally. The team consists of a Financial Manager and two Financial Accountants, reporting to you.
Furthermore, you are responsible for:
- Minimize financial risks/liabilities and advise on maximizing revenues for each contract.
- Support the business in strategy setting and execution and translate outcomes into annual plans/budgets.
- Pro-actively advise and support in solving contractual escalations and ensure maximum attainment.
- Actively manage cash flows and working capital of contracts and assigned entities in the region, in cooperation with Treasury.
- Advise on business and financial improvements and drive change proposals.
- Drive the start-up of new contracts/entities and be the PoC and liaison for relevant Group Functions.
- Implement and maintain applicable accounting, legal and tax structures and minimize liabilities.
- Monitor legal, tax and covenant's compliance and flag non-conformities.
- Manage the ‘day to day’ accounting in line with the company’s accounting framework.
- Manage statutory accounts (with support of internal/external auditors) and all related tax-filings.
- Process budget and forecast data and ensure a timely submission of budgets and forecasts reports to the Group.
- Provide timely monthly management reports and conduct variation & trend analyses and reviews.
- Act as the 1st Point of Contact towards the Group for regional accounting, reporting, tax, treasury, legal and ERP related matters.
- Review and assess financial terms and assumptions during tenders, contract extensions and - renewals.
- Implement Group internal control policies, procedures and (IT)systems & ensure compliance.
- Manage, appraise and develop direct reports.
- Proactively contribute to continuous process improvements and corporate projects.
You are a Medior Business Controller who is comfortable with working in a complex, dynamic environment. You thrive in a larger organization, are ambitious and like the international aspect of this job. You have a critical eye, are analytically strong and can communicate well with colleagues at national as well as international level. Furthermore, you have the natural ability to lead by example and prefer a bottom-up leadership style.
Furthermore, as a Medior Business Controller you have:
- A BSc or MSc in Finance, Economics, Business Administration or alike.
- 5-7 years’ experience in similar role.
- In depth knowledge of IFRS.
- Experience in an international setting.
- Fluent in Dutch and English.
- Strong analytical skills, to the point with a well-developed business sense.
- Ambitious, critical, pragmatic and persistent in delivering high quality.
- Team player with focus.
- Good communicator who is able to communicate with stakeholders at different levels within the organization.
What is Smit Lamnalco offering you?
Smit Lamnalco offers you a challenging position in a successful international organisation. You will have a lot of freedom, independence and the opportunity in a dynamic environment to take personal responsibility, show initiative, follow relevant training opportunities and further develop your talents. Smit Lamnalco offers you an Smit Lamnalco offers you a challenging position in a successful international organisation. You will have a lot of freedom, independence and the opportunity in a dynamic environment to take personal responsibility, show initiative, follow relevant training opportunities and further develop your talents. Smit Lamnalco offers you an inspiring working environment and a good salary with a competitive benefits package.